Thursday, February 1, 2007

A computer makes mistakes, but it makes mistakes so rare, people can't notice.


This is my dad!.. not really.. Bruce Schneier is the security guru who wrote Beyond Fear, an informative and funny book about security. Beyond Fear is also the name of the podcast.

Seriously entertaining! The way he interprets about security is so cool, I think this is a pretty good podcast about how "fuck-ups" happen in security and how it is possible for people to blow up the twin towers.

The general atmosphere of the podcast is about cryptography and secret code and security. People love finding out secrets, people love gossip. I don't believe there is one person who doesn't like it. I think the best sign of this idea is how Da Vinci Code got so famous and sold like crazy. Even though people didn't know that much of about art, they bought the book because of one of many reasons; revealing a secret code is one of the greatest reasons.

The feedback loop between defender and attacker is the most astonishing thing I heard about. As things get safer, the attackers actually work on more harmful solutions. When car alarms kicked in, thieves started carjacking. So there is a crazy game going on here. As a solution he suggests going after the terrorists rather than securing the airlines. It's so interesting how he approaches to the question. Actually it reminds me of an "arabic" way of solving things. I know I'm going to sound stereotypic, but don't take it personal. In old Arabian tradition, they try to find the "bad guy" and hang him, rather than putting up signals or keeping a guard. It's so interesting how the old Arabian tradition comes as a solution for a up-to-date problem.

I'm gonna buy his book... It sounds very genius!