Thursday, February 1, 2007

Why would you use a computer if it's not connected to the internet?


The other digital divide is a podcast by Jon Udell and his guest Scott C. Lemon.

Personally I take the digital divide as people who "think" they know a design program (like photoshop) and some who seriously do know and rock our world.

The problems they start talking about is upgrading hardware. When I was getting into this whole upgrading computer stuff, I thought every brand would go with another apparently it didn't. I met one of my best friends who is now holding the whole power of adsl in Turkey (I know he visited my computer in Tr a couple of times!). When he opened up my computer to check what is happening, he couldn't get over it for two weeks and it took him to fix my mess a month.

Scott also points out that there should be a bridge between the geek world and "outside". Well, yea I do agree. I can't really consider myself as a geek but I am aware of what's going on with the whole computer power and I like Star Wars, so if not a total geek, I am a small one.

I'm working with a starving artist who just opened up an ad agency to earn some money. She has no experience with programs except microsoft word and she's been using it for designing logos. now.. wait a minute.. you are worling with Word to design logos and you think it's the greatest program ever??? When I showed her what photoshop can do (gradient in one click), she called it to complicated and still thinks Word is the coolest program ever. When Scott talks about his wife and exchanging photos, I can totally understand him. Most artists are not really aware of the power of a computer. The worst part is, these people think they are right and refuse cute little girls like me to help.

There's another side of the medallion; the upcoming generation is growing up in this internet power and can hardly recognize the use of a computer without internet connection.

I love what they said about owning something just because cool kids have it. One of them is talking about how he bought an iPod but ended up using his MuVo. It got me thinking: Are we getting atypical? I know I am, but there is a general sense that people are not doing what others are trying to do. Or maybe I feel like that now 'cuz I got out of my "wanna-be environment" and grew up.

Also there's another point I can't stop agreeing: I don't want something expensive that will give me a heart-attack every time I drop it. Personally I own a acer 5100 laptop (700$), a ipod nano (100), a mac mini (cant remember) and a LG whatever phone came free with the plan I chose. I can't work with something that can easily be damaged because I'm trying to learn stuff and my head is always busy. So I can forget something behind or it may fall of my pocket or something. I don't want to cry after it. Of course I'd love to have the coolest laptop or the greatest mp3 player, but I just can't take the responsibility.

What this podcast made me realize is that: I'm a lot more geeker that I though I was. If you wanna chill out, take a look at it but it can be quite boring as well..


wow.. long entry..

No comments: