Thursday, April 26, 2007

coming together.. slooooowwwllyyyyyy

ok, I haven't found a name for the toy yet but I'm still looking for it. During the creativity process, I guess the worst part is the naming! I bet it's going to take a lot longer than building up this whole thing.

So here how it goes:
Growing up rocks in many means:
- you can buy booze and show your ID with total confidence.
- have a house of our own and call friends over whenever and however you like.
- hook up with people not be forces to explain it.
- freedom of bedtime.

but after a while the doom of the city-life / adult-life takes over:
- Managing bills turn into a huge hastle
- "So how am I going to afford a plumber after Jack's success in the bathroom?"
- Why can't anybody go out?
- I miss mom..
- Deadlines for projects.. I can't even make a joke about this situation.
- I just wanna lay done without worrying about entertaining someone.
- I need someone here.. Someone who I can turn on and off whenever I want.

The birth-idea of the cube is this: When the "lived-in" space changes, there are certain issues to be taken care of, especially when the previous space is our homeland and the new space is the other side of the world. I realized that the more I grow up/old and apart from my parent, the more and grander my responsibilities are. As I said in my previous presentation some people go through this phase in a longer period and some in a shorter one. Mine happened all of a sudden, so did many of my friend's as well. But I know a couple of people who went through this phase one by one in a longer time, like 3 years.
No matter how old or how mature a personality can be, there is a certain point in life where social interaction with a stranger as an outsider's view can support more than anyone else's. An outsider's view is considered as a must in most creativity processes, but here the situation is a little more emotional.
There are two situations in life: when something goes goes, a different part of your life gets screwed up OR when one thing goes wrong, everything falls apart. In these kind of times, a person usually feels vulnarable and it's not a common act to show one's weak side. Here's where the cube comes in.

yeah.. I'm gonna name it "something" cube.. needy cube?.. naah..

multividual cube! I wish it could be a cuter name though.. By the way Multividual means :
"a multiple individual that embraces many selves and in a technological perspective can possess multiple bodies.

As early as 1970s, psychologists indicated the emergence of a proteic type of personality who combines the properties of different individuals. This is not a schizophrenically split personality, but the one rich in roles and selves, a multividual who cannot be confined to a single self.

The multiplicity of selves often reveals itself in the acts of inspiration and artistic creativity. Eventually these multiple selves will acquire not only symbolical and imaginative embodiments, like in theater, but also independent bodies. Like a bio-species is exemplified by a multiplicity of individuals, a multividual will become a psycho-species exemplified by various organisms. Such multividuals will reach across continents assuming various material guises and performing various social and professional roles, and simultaneously they will be aware of their unique destiny and moral responsibility. "
urbandictionary.com

Here are the six moods:
- So what's up? mood : Just a normal friend hanging out and checking on you now and then
- Are we there yet? mood: Everybody needs a coach. Ok, not all of the time and there are situations where coaching would be wonderful. This mood is focusing on deadlines and get you on working. Sometimes it can get a little annoying, but who's perfect anyway?
- Shit happens.. need some booze, boss? mood: In some situations, all someone needs is something that can listen to the shitty consequences of life. I'm not if there is an idiom in English but there's a great way to humiliate someone who nags about the bag things happening: Go, turn on the water and talk to it!.. No need for taps anymore..
- I am preeeetyyyyy, oh so preeetyyyyyy mood: Happiness is said to be contagious.
- You just called me a hussy? mood: This easily-offended mood is present so the user will miss the other personalities. Just for the sake of promotion.
- zzz mood: chilling around..

So how's this going to work?

Every side has it's own button. When the side is to be activated, it is placed in the proper position that will get the button to be pressed. The button activates the mood.

So what's up next:
I'm still not sure whether I should get the cube to speak or just to flash lights. I guess I have to decided on it today, to get the playtesting on going. What I really want is, to get the Cube speak/ask question in every 30 seconds - two minutes. Not the same one of course!

No comments: